- Fifth (among 50 competitors) in the Postdoctoral and junior faculty research competition in Mathematical Research, IBM Math. Sci. Dept. March 82).
- The First Prize (among students of all over Greece), Greek Mathematics Society, May 1973.
- Elected unanimously as Member of the Board of the European Association for Theoretical Computer Science (EATCS) in July 1997 in Bologna Italy.
- Appointed as a Distinguished Visiting Scientist of Max Planck Informatik (MPI) in Germany, for the Fall of 2001.
- Conference Chair of STOC 2001 and Global Chair of ICALP 2001.
- Awardee of a prize for the Keynote speech in the 2001 High Performance Computing Conference, Hyderabad India Dec 2001.
- Elected unanimously as one of the two vice -Presidents of the Council of the European Association for Theoretical Computer Science(EATCS), in July 2002 in the ICALP that took place in Malaga Spain.Re-elected in the same position unanimously , in ICALP 04 , in the ICALP that took place in Turku , Finland. Re-elected in the same position unanimously , in ICALP 2006 , which took place in Venice , Italy.
- Co-author of a distinguished paper in EUROPAR 2003.
- Appointed Member of ISTAG ( Information Society Technologies Advisory Group),which is a honorary group of 40 experts from Europe, aiming at designing future European Research in Information Technology.Since Jan 03.
- Best presentation co-awardee of the Poster " A software tool for Distributed Intrusion Detection in Computer Networks" with T. Komninos , Y.C. Stamatiou, E. Valeontis and H. Yannakopoulos , in the 2004 ACM PODC Conference.
- Acknowledged between the top 50 scientists worldwide in Computer Science with respect to "The best Nurturers in Computer Science Research" , published by B. Kumar and Y.N. Srikant , SIAM Data Mining , 05.
- Scientific Chair of the 2005 ACM Conference "Symposium on Parallelism in Algorithms and Architectures (SPAA) ". SPAA is the top Conference in Foundations of parallelism.
- Scientific Chair of IPDPS 06.
- Scientific Chair of the 2nd International Workshop on Internet and Network Economics (WINE 2006).
- Conference co-chair of ICALP 2009.
- Scientific Leader of the project and its result (e-Voting System PNYKA) that got the First Prize in the Pan-European Competition for Open Source non-commercial e-Voting Systems. The competition was conducted by the Internet Foundation of Austria (IFA) and its Competence Center for e-Voting and participation. August 2008.
- Member of the ACM Europe Task Force , from 2008 on.Now called ACM Europe Council.
- Member of the Panel for ERC/IDEAS for Senior Scientists , 2009.
- Co-author of a paper that got the Gold Creative Showcase Award in the 5th ACM Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology , ACE 2009.
- Deeply honoured by the article of Professor Richard Lipton "Rumors and Playing Games" in his Web page , about the joint work with Haralampos Tsaknakis "A Graph Spectral Approach to Computing Approximate Nash Equilibria" in ECCC TR09-096.
- Recipient of a Technology Excellence Award , as a Technology Pioneer, in the Technology Excellence Awards 2009 of the PC magazine (Greek Edition) and T3 , April 2010 , Volume 4 of the PC Magazine.
- Scientific Chair of Track A (Algorithms) in ICALP 2010.
- Invited Plenary Lecturer in the Croucher Advanced Study Institute (ASI) in July 2010 in Hong Kong . P. Spirakis lectured on Bimatrix Games and Indefinite Quadratic Programs.
- Member of Academia Europaea since October 2010.
- Member of the Executive Body of the Polytechnic University of Cyprus (TEPAK),since January 2011.
- Chair of the EATCS award Committee for 2011.
- The research proposal in the Greek Competition THALIS , on algorithmic game theory (AGT) , under the leadership of P. Spirakis , came FIRST in the set of proposals in the Engineering and Informatics section (Results out Oct. 2011).
- Paul Spirakis won a Grant in the Greek EXCELLENCE initiative (ARISTEIA). The grant is named FOCUS and concerns Foundations of Distributed Computing. His team Members include Dr. Othon Michail and Dr. Ioannis Chatzigiannakis.
- Paul Spirakis is the co-Chair of the Conference EUROPAR 2012 (Aug. 29-31 Rhodos, Greece).
- Paul Spirakis was an Invited Speaker in ICALP 2013 (Riga) and spoke about Random Intersection Graphs.
- Paul Spirakis was an Invited Speaker in CSR 2013 (Ekaterinburg) and spoke about Potential Functions in Strategic Games.
- Paul Spirakis became an EATCS Fellow , Class of 2014 .
- Paul Spirakis serves as a Reviewer in the 2014 British Distinguished Dissertations Competition.
- Paul Spirakis was an Invited Speaker in the 2014 Symposium on Algorithmic Game Theory (SAGT 2014). Spoke about Potentials in Strategic Games.
- Paul Spirakis is the Program Committee Chair for ACM PODC 2015.
- Paul Spirakis chairs the 2015 Diskstra award committee.
- Paul Spirakis chairs the ERC Panel on Informatics for 2015.
- Paul Spirakis is now the Editor-in-Chief for the journal Theoretical Computer Science (TCS) for the track A (Algorithms,Complexity,Automata and Games).
- Paul Spirakis was honoured by a Festschrift celebration for his 60th birthday in the ALGO 2015 Conference. A special volume of Springer LNCS "Algorithms,Probability,Networks and Games" was published to honour the scientific work of Paul Spirakis (Vol. 9295 , 2015 Springer LNCS).
- Paul Spirakis was a Keynote Speaker in ESA 2015.
- Paul Spirakis was elected as President of the European Assocoation for Theoretical Computer Science (EATCS) as of July 14 2016.
- Paul Spirakis was a Keynote Speaker in the 2016 Panhellenic Conference in Informatics (PCI 2016) , Nov. 10 2016. He spoke about Temporal Networks and Temporal Graphs.
- Paul Spirakis was a Keynote Speaker in the SOFSEM 2017 Conference which took place in Ireland on Jan. 17-21 2017. He spoke about Programmable Matter.
- Paul Spirakis was an invited speaker in the Alan Turing Institute (London) on March 17 2017. He spoke about "Temporal Graphs : Algorithms and Complexity".
- Paul Spirakis is a co-chair of the MFCS 2018 Conference ( Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science 2018) , Liverpool UK, Sept. 27 to Oct 1 2018.
- Paul Spirakis was re-elected as the President of EATCS in ICALP 2018 for the period 2018-2020.
- Paul Spirakis chaired the ERC Panel on Informatics (PE6 Advanced Grants) for 2017/18.
- Paul Spirakis was a Keynote Speaker in the Symposiuk on Algorithmic Game Theory (SAGT) 2018 , in Beijing (Peking U.) on September 2018.
- Paul Spirakis was an invited Speaker in the event "Distributed Algorithms at Loughborough (DA@L) " on January 28 2019. He spoke about Models and Algorithms for Programmable Matter.
- Paul Spirakis was elected as the Chair of the ACM SPAA Advisory Committe in June 2019.(SPAA is the Symposium on Parallelism in Algorithms and Architectures).
- Paul Spirakis was a Member of the Dijkstra Award Committee 2020.
- Paul Spirakis delivered a keynote talk in the 4th International Symposium on Cyber Security , Crysptology and Machine Learning (Beer Sheva , Israel , July 2 , 2020 ). Paul Spirakis spoke about the impact of temporal availability patterns on Dynamic Networks (Temporal Graphs).
- Paul Spirakis was re-appointed as a Member of the ICALP Steering Committee (July 2020).