Paul Spirakis has participated in over 40 projects since 1983 and has won three personal grants for being the principal investigator and one for being a member of the research team.
- Paul Spirakis is the CTI scientific leader of the FP6 EU FET Global Computing II Integrated project AEOLUS, which started on Sep/2008 and will last for 4 years.
- Paul Spirakis leads the PENED GGET/Greece scientific project Algorithmic and Evolutionary Game Theory, which started on July/2005 and will last for 3 years.
- Paul Spirakis is the Scientific Coordinator of the FP7 EU FET Proactive project FRONTS, which started on Feb/2008. The project will last 3 years and is about Foundations of Adaptive Networks of Tiny Artefacts.
- Paul Spirakis is the leader of the Greek THALES project on Algorithmic Game Theory (AGT) , started on Jan. 2012.
- Paul Spirakis is a key scientist in the EU FP7 Project ABC4Trust.
- Paul Spirakis is a key scientist in the EU FP7 Project e-compass.
- Paul Spirakis leads the Greek THALES Project AGT (Algorithmic Game Theory).
- Paul Spirakis leads the CTI team in the IP EU Project MULTIPLEX.
- Paul Spirakis won the Greek Excellence Grant "ARISTEIA" with the project FOCUS on dynamic networks and temporal graphs.
- Paul Spirakis leads the CTI team of the ERC project ALGAME started on Apr. 2013.
- Paul Spirakis leads the CS part of the University of Liverpool Leverhulme Research Center in Materials Design , starting in 2016 for 10 years.